Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

gun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Post by gun »

I registered for the sole purpose of following up to this thread.

I have to completely agree with the comments made here. When I tell people about this place I refer to the old-man as the "Range Nazi". This is not a fun place to shoot and its made worse by the fact they pack people in on the firing line like sardines.

Trying to teach your wife how to shoot while .45 shells bounce off her head and my back, is a quick road to nowhere. And that's made worse by the Range Nazi running up, grabbing her loaded weapon from her hand, attempting to force her to shoot using his "expert shooting style." That was made yet even worse with the Range Nazi making an example of her after the cease fire. To say it intimidated her is an understatement, as she was still trying to get past the basic "bang" intimidation. Needless to say, its been hard to get her back to any shooting range since that experience.

These guys do everyone a great disservice.

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tfrazier »

gun wrote:...made worse by the Range Nazi running up, grabbing her loaded weapon from her hand, attempting to force her to shoot using his "expert shooting style." ...
My wife would have responded in a manner that would have had both of us ejected from the range and the Range Nazi nursing a busted lip. Of course, she already has experience handling a handgun and nobody, even me, is going to take a loaded weapon out of her hands.

I think this story tops the chart for "bad times at Quail Creek" in my book.

Take her to Elm Fork if you can get her back in the mood. The guys out there are very helpful. They won't butt in unless they see you (or her) do something unsafe...or you ask for their help. It's also much nicer than Quail Creek.

By the way, they have recently decided you can no longer do double-taps at Elm Fork...they want a full second between rounds now. :roll:

dewayneward
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dewayneward »

WOW!!!! I just cannot imagine something like this happening ANYWHERE. I ahve been there twice with no issues. I agree on the "uncomfortableness" of having someone elses ejected rounds hit you. Just felt "weird". I kept apologizing when I shot :lol: :lol:

Although quail creek is "close" to me, there are just too many issues written down that would make me keep going there. May start going to bass pro. I just want to go somewhere that I can shoot a few rounds, but not unload 1000 rounds. Course, that may end when I decide to do the reloading thing.
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tfrazier »

dewayneward wrote:... May start going to bass pro...
Hope you like shooting in the dark! :smilelol5: I guess they keep it so dim in there so the regular customers can't watch who's shooting, but if that's the case, why have glass between the main store and the range at all?

Plus, there's always a long wait...or was. The last time I went there was well before the election and subsequent ammo shortages.

And then there's the whole, check your gun and ammo at the door thing.

I like Elm Fork.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tfrazier wrote:I like Elm Fork.
So do I. I also like DPC, of which I'm a member, although DPC don't like .308 bolt rifles. . . . :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BerettaUSMC60

ALTERNATIVE SITE(s) ??? Re: Never going to QUAIL CREEK again

Post by BerettaUSMC60 »

OK ... I hear everyone's opinion to the OP ... what is your suggestion for the next best range for those in the Flower Mound area? I prefer outdoors as it is TOO CONVENIENT to shoot indoors, perfect conditions, etc.

Thanks! :)

:txflag:

Medino

Post by Medino »

I personally despise going to a range that is regulated. The only reason i will go to one is if i am joining my friends there. Sure there are some safety reasons behind some of their claims but they sometimes will create a safety hazard in the process. Example:
gun wrote: And that's made worse by the Range Nazi running up, grabbing her loaded weapon from her hand, attempting to force her to shoot using his "expert shooting style."
Who knows what condition the firearm is in when he grabs it? Who knows how many people the barrel could have pointed at in the process? Who knows if your wife could accidentally squeeze off a round when he grabs the firearm then he is to blame. The new shooting style could give her problems as well especially if she is just learning how to handle a gun.

Private or unregulated ranges are much better when it is up to the other gun owners to keep watch over each other. Then there is no one that feels above the other people because of some authority. Downside is there is always someone who does not use the standard gun safety that you have to watch out for.
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

drumfishie

Post by drumfishie »

I have visited Quail Creek several times lately and was very well treated. The "Range Nazi" no longer works there. They have made vast improvements in the facility and are currently working to double their capabilities. I suggest everyone give them another chance. I did and was very pleased.

navion

Post by navion »

I've been a long gun guy for quite sometime now, just taking my CHL class in April. I've been to quite a few shooting ranges over the years keeping my skills honed for bird hunting. What a surprise for me to read this thread two days before I was to take a defensive handgun course with my first trip to Quail Creek. Needless to say I was a little apprehensive. I have now taken 3 classes at Quail Creek with Chris Rainey and have been very pleased. It looks like they have made and are in the process of making many improvements. I was very satisfied with Chris' knowledge and course. Seems they have made a change for the better. I'll go back.

Mark

super8neon

Post by super8neon »

I am simply amazed at at the "First Post" that are all "Positive" in this thread.

Yet... the higher ups "Seniority" on the site are posting bad experiences.

navyguy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by navyguy »

I don't ever see myself going back to QC. Not since I started going to Elm Fork. I shoot there monthly with a group from another board, and we have a blast. There is no way QC would allow a group like ours the freedom we get at EF. We are completely safe, but there is a lot of talking and such going on, which would drive the Nazi's at QC nuts. It is like night and day between those two ranges, and EF has much better facilities, and offerers more options to the shooter.

Perhaps they've seen all of the negative things said about them, and are "trying" to change... but a leopard can't change it's spots, and the ugliness will return. Maybe one day the place will sell and new owners, with a better attitude will be able to change it up for the good.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This thread is now almost a year and a half old, so I'm going to lock it. If someone wants to talk about Quail Creek again, then a new thread can be started.

Chas.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”