Thoughts on Grand Prairie Gun Club?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
davandron
Posts in topic: 3

Thoughts on Grand Prairie Gun Club?

Post by davandron »

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts / experience with the Grand Prairie Gun Club. From their website they seem nice and established, and have fair sized rifle, pistol, and shotgun areas. But I imagine in a club like that the people are the most important thing and that's hard to tell from the website ;^)

I'm hoping to stop by on one of their "open to the public" Saturdays. Not sure if that's free (I'd be surprised), but they don't mention their range fee anywhere.

Thanks!

Update: Guess I'm answering my own thread, but I thought I'd post my findings for everyone else's benefit as well.

The club seems to be a winner. Everyone I've had the pleasure of talking with has been helpful and friendly. The facilities are in good to great condition, especially considering it's a volunteer-run club, and they appear to be on track with their plan for improvements. There are somewhere around 450 active memberships, a number of which appear to be couples / families, and they're at approximately 90% of their membership cap right now. Apparently they occasionally hit the limit and potential members go on a waiting list for a month or two.

Interesting note, they have a large clubhouse with a big "front porch" and, from the sounds of it, use it as a social club with people who hang out even when they aren't shooting. It is definitely a sportsman club, and I think they'd be a little uncomfortable with mall ninjas, but everyone I've met sounds a lot like the people on this board and I doubt there is any trouble for me to worry about.

For others that are interesting in seeing their facilities, I'd encourage people to visit during their public day (after 1pm on the 3rd Saturday of each month; cost is $4 per shooter) and maybe at their monthly board meeting (730pm on the 1st Thursday of the month).
Last edited by davandron on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

597newbie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thoughts on Grand Prairie Gun Club?

Post by 597newbie »

I have a coworker who went there. Is private. I found the website. If you can find out how non members can get in.. please post.

http://www.gpgc.net/
2330 Lower Tarrant Road
Grand Prairie, TX 75053
972-641-9940 (leave message)

Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday: 1 PM to 6:30 PM or dusk
Monday: 5:30 PM to dusk
Other times by prior arrangement: 8:30 AM to dusk

Current Facility: The current facility is on 65.076 acres of land and has
100 and 200 yard rifle ranges;
25 and 50 yard pistol ranges;
a three bay archery range;
one combination skeet and trap,
one combination trap and 5-stand,
and four skeet only fields.
In 2003, we completed construction of our hunter education building. This 4800 square foot facility provides a classroom, member clubroom, and restrooms.
http://gibsonoutpost.angelfire.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DFW gun ranges listed and websites. 4 FMJ Top Gun,Gibsons,Magnum and Jacobs Plain
http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; NRA gun range finder
http://www.youtube.com/user/300YardNoScope" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

597newbie wrote:If you can find out how non members can get in.. please post.
As far as I know, non-members can't get in unless they are a guest of a member, or are participating as a non-member in one of the competitions held there. There website is: http://www.gpgc.net/.

Membership information

The "About GPGC" page says:
Membership: Benefits of membership include the use of all of the facilities. Membership includes spouse and children under 21, living at home. Each member receives a club bulletin monthly with reports on club events as well as other items of importance to the membership. Each member in good standing is provided with a membership card, badge, and a key. The key will open the front gate and the rifle/pistol range gate. Each member is required to produce his key and membership card when called on by any club officer, member, or law enforcement officer. The club is kept closed and locked except during scheduled activities or when a member is present on the rifle/pistol range. Guests are welcome to all facilities when accompanied by a member-in-good standing. Members are responsible for the behavior of all of their guests and must remain with them at all times when on the premises.
I've been thinking about becoming a member, but the $750 price of a share in the corporation is a steep buy in price. OTH, it is a nice looking facility.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
davandron

Post by davandron »

Thanks guys,

I had already read through the website and I've emailed them to learn more about the club. When I learn more I'll post the info.

It is a private club with restricted access, however I saw on their site that the third Saturday of each month they are open to the public after 1pm. I'm not super concerned about the $750 price to buy a share in the club, as long as they will help me sell the share to a new / prospective member if I ever need to leave the club. The way I see it, it's a refundable deposit that helps keep the club size in control and prevents people from joining up who aren't serious. That cash also keeps the club in good shape (I believe it's a co-op).

Reading through their monthly Bullet-Tins (*chuckles*) it looks like an active group of mixed ages with a number of families. For anyone that's interested, here is the August newsletter.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Directly from their website:

Public Service: The ranges are open to the public on the third Saturday of each month.

http://www.gpgc.net/About%20GPGC.htm

Topic author
davandron

Post by davandron »

After my visit this weekend, I went ahead and updated the first post in the thread.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”