Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Longtooths
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Post by Longtooths »

Good enough for me, they just lost me as a customer.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

firemed222

Post by firemed222 »

Don't let one bad experience ruin your opinion of Quail Creek. The rest of the RO's are really decent. They have no problem helping "newbies", and are always willing to help if you are having problems with your firearm. I have shot at Quail Creek before and recieved fire down my neck also, but I did go back and had a great experience shooting with other RO's on duty.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well I've only ever seen two ROs there, and both of them were a rude pain.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dejr2000

Post by dejr2000 »

Wow, I thought I was the only that had problems with these guys! It is the closest range to me but would love to find an alternative north or northwest of Ft Worth. Any suggestions for rifle and pistol? :patriot:

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Greybeard »

Northeast of FW. Might fill a need with pistolas. No rifles bigger than .22 rimfire. (50' indoor). Anual "Freedom Plan" details at http://www.dentoncountysports.com
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

mmay1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mmay1 »

I went there once. The range officer acted like a drill instructor. :rules: For a moment, I thought I had returned to basic training at Fort Bragg.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

If you care to come far south to I-30, Elk Castle is right on I-30 at Cherry Lane. They run a tight ship but not Range Nazi style.

Target1911
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Target1911 »

propellerhead wrote:If you care to come far south to I-30, Elk Castle is right on I-30 at Cherry Lane. They run a tight ship but not Range Nazi style.
They run very safe and wont put up with ANY bull. Very good ppl. The only thing that keeps me from shooting there is they will NOT let you shoot your own reloads. I reload therefore I dont shoot there but I will do business with them.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Elk Castle is probably the cleanest indoor range you will see.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

p99guy

Post by p99guy »

Its getting to where the list of things you can't do there is longer than what you can.
I have been going there off and on for years, I have a FFL and up until recently (due to injuries) been a LEO. I thought I got along good with those guys..I walked into the range office to show the big guy my new toy, a SBR'ed FN PS90 ...the same guy that fell in love with my RRA Entry Tactical with EOtech512 etc. just the week before. So I was really shocked when I zipped open the case to show him- he started yelling and making a scene! Thats illegal!!!!!( I have my tax stamp papers with me) THAT DONT MATTER! ITS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO HAVE THAT!!! THAT GUN CANT STAY ON THIS PROPERTY!!!! WE DONT HAVE THE KIND OF "RANGE LICENSE" THAT ALLOWS those!!Dont blame us, blame ATF. (being a FFL and a LEO , I informed him there was no such "Range license".
He finally "allowed" me to put it in the trunk so I could shoot my pistol at least.
I hate folks that makes up laws as they go(and blame ATF)...and cant just simply say "we dont like that". He informed me that if it has a tax stamp, it cannot be used there.
I shoot my SBR guns and suppressors at Alpine Range with no problems lol..same with On Target, south of Benbrook(allows even the PS90 in the pistol range), and even that tiny indoor range on 28th street has no problem with suppressed stuff.

The staff/owner or owners of Quail Creek are the biggest reason one would stop going there.
Last time I was there the range master wouldnt let a guy sight in his AR15 on the 50 yard range! (a common practice) geeeeeez I used to find shooting to be a relaxer, but not there...you never know when your going to be treated like a small child without warning. Its almost like the range is run by people that hate guns...
CHL,C&R Lic.,NFA owner

Target1911
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Target1911 »

p99guy wrote:Its getting to where the list of things you can't do there is longer than what you can.
I have been going there off and on for years, I have a FFL and up until recently (due to injuries) been a LEO. I thought I got along good with those guys..I walked into the range office to show the big guy my new toy, a SBR'ed FN PS90 ...the same guy that fell in love with my RRA Entry Tactical with EOtech512 etc. just the week before. So I was really shocked when I zipped open the case to show him- he started yelling and making a scene! Thats illegal!!!!!( I have my tax stamp papers with me) THAT DONT MATTER! ITS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO HAVE THAT!!! THAT GUN CANT STAY ON THIS PROPERTY!!!! WE DONT HAVE THE KIND OF "RANGE LICENSE" THAT ALLOWS those!!Dont blame us, blame ATF. (being a FFL and a LEO , I informed him there was no such "Range license".
He finally "allowed" me to put it in the trunk so I could shoot my pistol at least.
I hate folks that makes up laws as they go(and blame ATF)...and cant just simply say "we dont like that". He informed me that if it has a tax stamp, it cannot be used there.
I shoot my SBR guns and suppressors at Alpine Range with no problems lol..same with On Target, south of Benbrook(allows even the PS90 in the pistol range), and even that tiny indoor range on 28th street has no problem with suppressed stuff.

The staff/owner or owners of Quail Creek are the biggest reason one would stop going there.
Last time I was there the range master wouldnt let a guy sight in his AR15 on the 50 yard range! (a common practice) geeeeeez I used to find shooting to be a relaxer, but not there...you never know when your going to be treated like a small child without warning. Its almost like the range is run by people that hate guns...
That why I am working towards owning enough land to have my very own personal gun range.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PUCKER »

WOW - what a bunch of nonsense!!! That's crazy - seriously crazy, I wonder if those folks are smoking/injecting something (ie-drugs)...I'm speechless (although my fingers seem to work). Sheesh.

BTW - no response to my email to them.
p99guy wrote:Thats illegal!!!!!( I have my tax stamp papers with me) THAT DONT MATTER! ITS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO HAVE THAT!!! THAT GUN CANT STAY ON THIS PROPERTY!!!! WE DONT HAVE THE KIND OF "RANGE LICENSE" THAT ALLOWS those!!Dont blame us, blame ATF. (being a FFL and a LEO , I informed him there was no such "Range license".

Kerbouchard

Post by Kerbouchard »

My first message should probably have been something else, but you guys have probably been in this area longer than I have, so here it goes.

I've checked out the dentoncountysports website several times, and thought about joining, but for anybody to require me to take one of their classes to shoot I thought was a little overboard. Also, the 'freedom' plan was about the least amount of freedom I had ever seen. I usually go to the range 1-2 times per week and usually stay for 3-4 hours. With there freedom plan, I could shoot for about a month before my time ran out.

The last time I went to DFW guns, they charged me and my wife, then assigned us one lane even though we paid for two and asked for two. Then they required me to use their targets, the lighting was inadequate, and they wouldn't let me use my own safety glasses because they had a slight yellow tint. I can almost agree with the safety glass requirement because the lighting was so poor.

I did meet somebody on another forum that has his own range and I have visited his range once. Probably the most fun I've ever had at a range. Timer's, draw from holsters, reactive targets, the whole nine yards...

So, for all of those who will 'never go to Quail Creek again.' What's left? I have been going to quail creek at least once a week, and I leave my holster in my car and bring whatever I am shooting to the line in a case.

I do understand the frustration about not having a responsible range where common sense is used, but from what I have seen up there, it's not a responsible range. Everything from the macho guys that want their girl friends to shoot their .357 as there first shot to the reservist that came up there in uniform last week with two colt six guns and thought he was a cowboy.

I definitely don't think Quail Creek is the best, but out of the 3 pages of reasons not to go to quail creek, there have only been 2 suggestions of where else to go, and I think that those two places are even worse.

I am new to the Lewisville area, so if there is an affordable, responsible gun range that does support CHL in Tx, I would love to hear about it.

FIFTY

Post by FIFTY »

Kerbouchard wrote:What's left?
I go to Targetmasters in Garland and have not noticed any unreasonable restrictions on their shooters. They are definitely worth taking a look at.

Kerbouchard

Post by Kerbouchard »

FIFTY wrote:
Kerbouchard wrote:What's left?
I go to Targetmasters in Garland and have not noticed any unreasonable restrictions on their shooters. They are definitely worth taking a look at.
Targetmasters is over an hour drive. With gas prices as they are, thats just not concievable for a weekly trip.

From the dentoncountysport website it seems they are the closest. I believe less than 5 minutes. But their time requirements vs price leave it out of the mix.

I think I will have to stick with Quail Creek. I can live with a cold range. I know it's cold before I get there. I think the people who expect it to be a hot range are the ones who cause most of the problems. And yes, I get yelled at, at least 2-3 times per trip for rapid fire...That is the restriction that annoys me the most. I'll set up 5 targets as a W, and shift target each time. And they still get on to me for the 1 shot per 2 seconds.

But they let me pick up my(and other's if they don't reload) brass, and that's a definite plus.

I will get by Targetmaster's sometime in the next week or so. If it's a lot better than Quail Creek, than I will probably go up there more often. Thanks for the recommendation.
Last edited by Kerbouchard on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”