Can you carry at your favorite range???

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Would you go to such a range?

Yes, I would abide by their range rules.
32%
Yes, if it was the only range around.
9%
No, I don't frequent ranges that don't allow CHL carry.
59%

Total votes: 66

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

seamusTX wrote:
Piney wrote:I'm just curious-- several of you folks are talking about having to declare and clear your carry piece when visiting a range. Does this range have a safe area where one goes in , faces in a safe direction, draws, clears and reholsters ?
No. Your vehicle.

- Jim
When I was in the Army so many decades ago, they used to have drums filled with sand. Where one could clear their weapon safely, seemed like a good idea then, probably would be a good idea at a range, or gun shows.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
kauboy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kauboy »

You know, water does the same thing. I saw on MythBusters where they wanted to see how far a .50 cal would travel underwater. It went in about 2ft and lost ALL momentum. I though that was cool. :grin:
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

kauboy wrote:You know, water does the same thing. I saw on MythBusters where they wanted to see how far a .50 cal would travel underwater. It went in about 2ft and lost ALL momentum. I though that was cool. :grin:
But Clean sand tends to stay clean unless animals use it for a latrine. The ones that were outside often had hinged wooden covers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Sludge
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sludge »

As soon as I read your first post I said to my self that you must have been at on target.

They must have had an employee that was having a bad day. I shoot there often and always enjoy going over there. Nice indoor range and for the most part they are freindly folks. My wife, myself, and my mother in law have taken our CHL class there as well.

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

propellerhead wrote:At the range I frequent, if you carry concealed it stays concealed. If you want to shoot your carry, unload at the firing line.
:iagree:

if the range has a problem with that... there are plenty of other ranges i can shoot at.

packina45

Post by packina45 »

At our local indoor range, the rule is pretty simple, no handling the gun except on the firing line. If you want to load, unload, holster, unholster, that's up to you...as long as you're on the line and handling your gun safely.

We're also members in a local Rifle and Pistol club that has an outdoor range that includes a tactical pistol bay, so we're lucky enough to have a place where you can practice shooting on the move, presentation, shooting from cover, etc. If all you've ever done is punch holes in paper at an indoor range, trust me, you're missing ALL the fun, not just part of it.
CHL timeline: 43 days mailbox to mailbox

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

kauboy wrote:You know, water does the same thing. I saw on MythBusters where they wanted to see how far a .50 cal would travel underwater. It went in about 2ft and lost ALL momentum. I though that was cool. :grin:
I have my doubts about anything on Mythbusters.

A standard 55 gallon drum is 22.5" in diameter, so the above would imply that a .50BMG antimateriel round would barely punch through a water-filled one, if at all. Anybody want to loan me a .50 and stand behind the drum to see if it goes through?

Topic author
kauboy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kauboy »

The bullets you fire are not designed to fly through water. Its just aerodynamics.
I remember hearing about some historical war where servicemen were given guns that would fire and travel well underwater, but the bullet was a lot different than what we fire.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Barron76

Re:

Post by Barron76 »

kauboy wrote:Great responses guys! Thanks alot for the words of advice on what to do.
I don't feel as weird about it now. I don't believe I will be frequenting that range anymore. Pitty too, it was a nice facility.

I guess since the response has been of an accepting nature, I can reveal the name of the range to you.
It was "On Target", located on HWY377 just north of the 1187 intersection in Benbrook. As I have told those who PM'd me about it, if you can overlook what I consider to be a flaw in their management, then I still recommend you visit them. The guys behind the counter can come across as condescending, and that might be uncomfortable, but the range and counter area are quite nice. They have a website: http://www.ontargetfirearms.com
After reading your initial post I was wondering if you were talking about On Target... Sounds like you met George on one of his "moody" days. I'm up there practicing at least once a week, once Jack & George and the rest of the guys know you and are comfortable with you (which can take quite a long time) they usually won't give you any hassle. Great guys really, they just are very over protective of the place... not really that bad of an idea for a public range in my opinion.

:txflag:

XDguy

Re: Can you carry at your favorite range???

Post by XDguy »

I've noticed this at a lot of ranges, and it bugs the hell out of mel. Seems so hypocritical!

killerquad

Post by killerquad »

I am not sure what the rules are at Bass Pro in Grapevine but the last time I was there I was next to guy that had no range bag with him and thought to myself "was he just holding the guns in his hand when he came in here"...yes he had 2 pistols and a couple boxes of ammo. As he was leaving I noticed he stuck one pistol in a SOB holster and the other on a beltslide holster. I cant imagine that he checked the guns in at entrance as it would be pretty difficult to holster the pistols with the trigger locks on it. I would imagine that the range officer must have known that he would be shooting his concealed pistol since he was just carrying ammo. Maybe they have eased up on CHL holders as I remember people being asked to unholster and clear their weapons before going into the store.
"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

killerquad wrote:I am not sure what the rules are at Bass Pro in Grapevine...
I shoot there with some frequency, and I carry into the store, into the range, and up to the firing line. I specifically asked one of the guys behind the counter at the gun range, about whether or not there was a range rule against CHL, and he said "We don't care. Just don't unholster or reholster your weapon until you are inside at your lane." After that, I didn't worry about it anymore.

Last weekend, I had the same experience at the Elm Fork range. I asked a range officer if there was a range policy against CHL. He told me that it was not a problem, as long as the CHL holder didn't draw and shoot from the holster, but that carrying concealed to and from the firing line was permissible.

On the other hand, if you draw a weapon from a holster where others are likely to see it happen if they are paying attention, even if there is no range policy against it, then your cover is blown.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

killerquad wrote:I am not sure what the rules are at Bass Pro in Grapevine but the last time I was there I was next to guy that had no range bag with him and thought to myself "was he just holding the guns in his hand when he came in here"...yes he had 2 pistols and a couple boxes of ammo. As he was leaving I noticed he stuck one pistol in a SOB holster and the other on a beltslide holster. I cant imagine that he checked the guns in at entrance as it would be pretty difficult to holster the pistols with the trigger locks on it. I would imagine that the range officer must have known that he would be shooting his concealed pistol since he was just carrying ammo. Maybe they have eased up on CHL holders as I remember people being asked to unholster and clear their weapons before going into the store.
Check other threads on this forum about Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. Basic answer is that for CHL owner you do not have to have your weapon checked and locked at the door.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

mmay1

Re: Re:

Post by mmay1 »

Barron76 wrote: Sounds like you met George on one of his "moody" days. I'm up there practicing at least once a week, once Jack & George and the rest of the guys know you and are comfortable with you (which can take quite a long time) they usually won't give you any hassle. Great guys really,
:txflag:
Yes, no doubt that's what happened. :mrgreen: My wife are both in there most every week and do as much business as we can there. I started frequenting On Target after nearly getting shot at another local range that has lot's of rules but no supervision on the outdoor pistol ranges (unless you pull the trigger faster than they think you should). Jack and George are first rate, in my opinion, and I am willing to abide by the house rules.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”